Tuesday, August 18, 2020

a little vacation time


Hello friends :) summer is slowely coming to an end. The first leaves are starting to turn yellow. Summer always goes by too fast but like every year I am looking forward to my favourite season, Fall 🍁
No bugs, cool air, cool nights, the first frosty mornings, wrapping up in a warm blanket while enjoying the last nice evenings outside. Fall could last forever in my opinion ;)
We decided to go away for a few daya of camping. Like every summer, we spend a few days at my sister in law's cabin. It is always big fun for the kids and a few days of just putting my feet up for me :)
We headed east and our first stop was Raleigh falls ... we love to visit the falls every time we go out that way .


After a short visit with Gramma we headed out to camp. The first day was super windy. Skyler usually spends his days in a little red paddle boat with his fishing road but that day he didn't even make it away from the shore. 

We had beaautiful weather the while time we were there. The days were sunny but not too hot and at night we had some showers and it cooled off nicely.


Evenings at camp are always filled with the song of loons and beautiful skies. The days are very relaxed ... the kids play in the water all day. I went swimming, relaxed in the sun with a glass of vino and just enjoyed that I had nothing else to do.
After five days tho we all were a little homesick and ready to go home.


Our little red chicken coop was empty when we got home. Our meat chickens had gone to the butcher while we were gone. We have 10 beautiful big chickens in the freezer.  The biggest one weighed in at 4.9 kg. 
So it was chicken coop cleaning day .... inside and out ... everything nice for a little batch of layers that moved in now.


Tonight we cooked our first hone raised chicken ... 


A meal home grown on the farm. Chicken, beets and beans. The potatoes came from the neighbours farm. So good !!! I can't believe what a difference in taste ... I am officially announcing, the raising of meat chickens was a success. We will do it again next year. I want to make some changes tho. I would like to raise them on grass, so I will build a couple chicken tractors that I can move around on the property and only supplement with grower food. 


The turkeys are growing into beautiful birds. Our Tom is so big ... thinking practically here for a moment ... I dont have a roaster that big ... hahah.
The vet was out today to check on Lunas leg. Unfortunately the tendon snapped again. However he says she is doing really good. Its healing very well, she walks good on her foot. He says she will learn to walk without the tendon, she will be ridable ... as well as she dies already, it will only improve from here. She will get another round of antibiotics to avoid infection. 
With time she will learn to walk properly without the tendon, however will probably in the beginning stumble more than usual. So LOTS and LOTS of ground work.  But for now ... no work at all ... continue on with lots of TLC 

Our temperatures are climbing into the 30th again in the next few days ... I think this will be the last heat wave.

U all stay cool and take it easy 🏖

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the meat chickens sis! :) I'm so happy for you! I'm glad to hear about Luna too. I wish I could go camping...I'd love to just be out in the middle of nowhere...wait, I am lol! ;) The only thing missing here is a campfire because we're on a no-burn order in NB...drought and no rain so nobody is allowed to burn. Fall is too soon for me! I want more summer! But I do love autumn! :) Nice photos! :)

    ReplyDelete