Sunday, July 12, 2020

Garden and other updates


It was another hot week. I don't think that the AC was turned off at all all week. We spent lots of time in the shade with the mosquitos ... thank goodness we have a screened in porch. The kids spent heat brakes in the house which seems like such a BAD thing to do in the summer, when u only have SO MUCH TIME to soak up all the sun you can get. BUT ... we all needed it !!! That and...





LOTS and lots of time in the pool. We decided in the spring to buy a big pool this year, knowing that we will probably not be going anywhere this summer. It was such a good investment. Such a nice way to cool off. Of course the kids have a pool every summer but not one that us adults could use as well. This one is comfortable for a nice dip to cool off ...



We are fencing in another piece of pasture, the cows will be coming back this week, the goats want to go out more and the ponies are running out of grass...fencing is no fun with all the bugs but it has to be done ... almost done !!!


The turkeys are free ranging now. They love to be out of the coop and are getting braver every day. They stuck around the coop for a couple of days but now we find them everywhere around the farm. In the chicken coop, the goat pen, just wandering around. They are fun to have around. At nighttime they get their food and go back into the pen.


Of course we spend lots of time in the goat pen every day. The mommas go out for some grass in the morning while the kids play with the kids ;) They are growing like weeds. Such cuties. All healthy, big and strong, which makes me very happy.
Tomorrow we will be starting to milk the ladies once a day. We moved our milk stand into the goat barn. Sky and Lily want to learn how to milk and I am all up for that. My hands don't like the milking much ... so I let the younger generation take over :)

Garden Update :


My flower boxes around the house are blooming beautifully. I didn't spend as much money as usual on annuals this year. Dont even know why. I wanted to focus on my garden, which then didn't even happen ... oh well...it's all good. I love what I have .


My perennials are also growing and blooming nicely. We are still working on the siding of the house so the flower beds around the house are a little neglected. It should be all done by next spring and then things will be prettied up again :)



The two garden boxes we did build this year, turned out to be awesome. I have one full of carrots and one full of beets. both are easy to weed and the veggies look very good.
This is the kind of box I want for the whole garden next year. Up high, I fill the box half with brush and leaves and the topsoil and compost. It works pretty good and is easy to work in. With my sciatica, it is a pain in the butt...literally, to garden in the ground or low boxes. Old lady issues...lol


The rest of the garden was planted in the backyard. We had a big spot picked out for our big veggy garden but then it was just too handy to throw the ponies into it, since it was all nicely fenced in.
Its all good tho. Grass for the critters is always a priority. I will start planting and moving bushes , berries , in the fall ... and next year I will have my big garden :)





We worked with what we have and everything is growing and thriving ... we had a slow start with cold nights into late june. After that ... no water, only from the hose and heat heat heat ...
I have no potatoes ... that kills me.




WE've been eating lettuce, kale and radishes from the garden for a couple weeks. The next things that will be ready to be picked will be the zuccini. Tomatoes are lots on the vine but nothing is turning colour yet. Carrots and beets are still too small. Peas and Beans are starting to bloom. Little cuces are starting to grow ... yum.
Every year the thing I look forward to the most is the greens of the beets. They are my favourite !!!

What is your favourite from the garden ??? And ... are you enjoying it yet ??

Til next week, stay cool and take it easy 🍹

2 comments:

  1. Oh that pool looks really cool right now!! I'd love to have a pool...mind you I'm still dreaming of having a hot tub...it will have to be screened in too so we don't have bugs all around us! One day... :) I guess you'll find out in X months if the cows are pregnant right? I love that photo of all your goats! I wish you could keep them all! :) Your flower beds look lovely, and I really love the height of your raised beds. What a good idea and I know all about that pain in the butt from sciatica! Mine isn't as bad as yours sis, but when it hits it HURTS. You have so much growing! I started my garden pretty late...I have radishes popping up just from today...the lettuces are taking FOREVER but the potatoes are busting through very quickly. I'm sorry you didn't get any planted this year! I won't be able to "hill" mine too high because I'm out of compost already, but that's okay, it's at least something! I hope my cauliflower and broccoli have a chance to grow. I think my favourite is the lettuces. Oh and out of 15 strawberry plants, only ONE is still sitting there green...I have never had luck with strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dreaming of having a hot tub too sis but more for the winter months than the summer. next year I want to buy a pavilion of some sort, with screen of course, so I can sit in the shade somewhere breezy without being chewed up by skeeters.
    We will find out pretty quick if the cows are pregnant. They come into heat once a month and if that doesn't happen, they are pregnant :)

    ReplyDelete