Sunday, June 14, 2020

Welcome to Thimbleweed Creek


Welcome to Thimble Weed Creek. 
Home to my little family and all the furry critters that belong to us. It will be 5 years in September since we moved here in 2015. It was a move with mixed feelings. We had to leave, what we thought would be our home for the rest of our lives. Our world shattered a bit when we heard that the owner had to sell as soon as possible. We knew we were not in the position to buy at that point, so we had no choice but to leave.  I remember the conversation we had about the new place, when G. came back from buying hay for the horses. There is this farm, overgrown and neglected but it has exactly what we needed. 500 acres of pasture and hay for the horses, barns and sheds and garages. So we went to look at it and there is was , overgrown, neglected and full of junk. 
The house was in a terrible shape as well. But, we tried to look passed all that and decided very fast. This is it. We will make this our home. So in September we moved with our kids, 12 equines and several chickens, dogs , cats and uncountable boxes. 
5 years later, we can call this our home. We took some good steps into the right direction. There were ups and downs but our family grew by another baby, several more equines, goats, bunnies, chickens, cows, turkeys and geese. 


We can for sure say the horses, mules, donkey and ponies have won the lottery with the move to this place. Endless green pastures and hay fields. In the winter, a cozy barn that keeps them out of the icy, stormy nights. 


Shortly after we moved here, I got my first dairy goat. She gave the best milk and I knew then ... there have to be more of those funny and sometimes obnoxious creatures in my life. The next year I bought a little buck and two more does and my little herd grew when it was kidding time. These 4 ladies in the picture are my current little herd. They are all due to kid within the next week or two. 
I can't wait to have baby goats around again. They are so much fun. I am sure you will be bombarded with baby pictures ;)


Clarabelle was the next step up from a dairy goat. The dream of being more self sufficient, to make my own cream, cheese, butter, jogurt and to have a good amount of milk, is mine. Clarabelle was 6 month when she moved in with us. She was the same size as the goats and she lived with them for the first year of her live. Now she is two and she still gets excited to see her goat friends in the pasture. Clarabelle will be bred this year and the dream of our own milk supply will hopefully come true next year. We bought another cow last fall. She  was bred when we bought her and had a healthy little heffer this spring. So, another little herd is growing :) 


I started my bunny adventure last spring. Looking at those cuties I could not imagine that they would be sitting in the roaster by the end of the year. But they did, and they were good and even the kids, who I thought would have a really hard time coping with that, did really good. 
It felt right to be able to raise our own meat or grow our own garden. And it makes me happy and proud to see our 3 children growing up with an understanding for where their food comes from. 
So we keep breeding bunnies. We love them and spoil them for the time they have with us and when their time comes, we are grateful for the healthy homegrown food on our plates. 



There is more critters crittering around, our lovely barn cats that love to sneak into the house during the cold winter nights. It gets cold here where we are - 40c nights are pretty common during January and February. We have several dogs that help us to keep our animals in as well as predators out. We have black bear, wolves and coyotes that come for regular visits, but never too close to the house. 
Of course we have chickens ... which farm doesn't have chickens ;) This year we added broilers to our chicken house for the first time. Also a first are Turkeys and Geese, fun little buggers those are. 
What else do we do here ... we garden, we ride, we homeschool, we cook and bake and venture out to explore the neighbourhood.  I love photography, you can pretty much find me snapping a picture wherever I am and sometimes I even find time to head out by myself with my fancy camera ;)
Time for myself is something that is lacking these days but I know when the kids are older and I will have too much of it, I will miss these days of craziness. 
I will tell you more about it, if you like to stick around .
Till then, take it easy 


2 comments:

  1. Great post Nik!! :) I loved reading that and the photos, especially the goats! Can you post photos of the chickens, turkeys and geese too? I love the name of your blog/home!! :) I can't believe it's been five years already. In five years, I'll be saying the same thing lol...I feel like you do...the place we bought is a fixer upper, it needs lots of work, so does the land if I want to make it comfy for chickens and maybe goats. I'd love to have some horses, but this isn't the terrain for them. I can't wait for the next post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post pictures of the geese, turkeys and chicks today :)
    U could get a donkey or a mule ;) rocky terrain is perfect

    ReplyDelete